It’s common for garlic to evoke cravings for several reasons, including deficiency in nutrients and minerals. The desire could also occur due to the type of foods one eats, genetics, and BMI. Some people also have garlic cravings due to its taste and smell.
However, that depends on an individual’s preferences, as others may dislike the resulting odor after eating garlic. Besides that, pregnant women develop a craving for garlic too.
Why Am I Craving Garlic During Pregnancy?
Craving garlic during pregnancy could occur due to a deficiency in vitamins B and C, calcium, iron, selenium, and zinc. Garlic contains all these minerals and a host of other nutrients that could significantly help boost the health of pregnant women. The pregnancy demands more minerals and nutrients for the mother-to-be. As such, that leads to some deficiencies, which will then cause garlic cravings.
What Benefits Can I Get From Eating Garlic When Pregnant?
Garlic craving is considered one of the healthiest for pregnant women despite the unpleasant smell. That’s because garlic offers several essential nutrients and minerals for pregnant women’s wellbeing.
Therefore, eating garlic is recommendable for pregnant women and comes with several benefits they shouldn’t miss. Here are some advantages of eating garlic when pregnant.
- Presence of antioxidants: Garlic contains vitamin C and B, which are great antioxidants. Thus, eating garlic would help scavenge free radicals preventing cell damage. Besides, vitamins lower the risk of various illnesses, including certain cancers and heart diseases.
- Emotional Checks: Pregnant women have mood swings from time to time. To tame this, garlic is recommendable to them as its consumption leads to hormonal balance, thus keeping emotions in check.
- Antibacterial properties: Pregnant women have their bodies demanding more nutrients that could help fight off any bacterial attacks, especially those that threaten the wellbeing of the fetus.
- Robust Immune System: Pregnant women require a strong immune system. That’s for their protection as well as the safety of the fetus. As such, garlic is one of the most recommended ingredients in a pregnant woman’s diet due to its richness in nutrients and minerals. Nutrients and minerals such as iron, selenium, vitamins, and zinc are known immune system boosters.
- Stress and Anxiety Management: Pregnant women regularly experience anxiety and stress. If not checked, that could mutate into full-time depression. Besides, mothers could also experience postnatal depression shortly after birth. To try and manage these occurrences, including garlic in a pregnant woman’s diet is necessary. That’s because garlic contains selenium, a vital mineral in managing stress and depression.
- Helps Manage Blood Pressure: It is common for pregnant women to have instances when their blood pressure is higher than usual. However, with the intake of the right amount of garlic daily, the blood pressure could be maintained within the normal range. Hence, garlic is highly recommended for pregnancy.
- Helps Manage Cholesterol Levels: One of the biggest risks to pregnant women is high cholesterol levels. However, proper dieting, such as garlic, can lower cholesterol levels in the body, thus essentially eliminating the threat.
What are the Risks of Consuming Too Much Garlic When Pregnant?
Although garlic has numerous benefits for pregnant women, consuming too much of it could be dangerous. That’s because it could pose specific threats to both the mother and the fetus.
Therefore, it is recommended that pregnant women take it in the right quantities. Here are some risks of overeating garlic.
- Low Blood Pressure: Garlic is excellent in lowering high blood pressure to normal levels. However, if eaten in excess, it could reduce the blood pressure below the normal rate, thus posing a health risk to the fetus and the mother.
- Low Blood Sugar: Excessive consumption of garlic may lead to increased insulin release and blood sugar lowering simultaneously. It could lead to coma, seizures, and death when that happens.
- Miscarriage: Too much consumption of garlic causes imbalances in the body and could alter the body’s receptiveness to the fetus. Hence, that could cause the mother’s body to fight the fetus leading to miscarriage.
- Nausea: Well, this is common among pregnant mothers and many other people. Too much consumption of garlic could cause nausea. However, it could be worse for pregnant women than for any other group.
What is the Right Quantity for Pregnant Mother to Eat Daily?
Well, now that it is clear that garlic is both beneficial and risky to pregnant women, it is time to know the correct quantity one should eat daily. The most recommended for pregnant women are two garlic cloves daily.
The quantity is deemed not too little to keep the craving and not too strong to pose unhealthy risks to the fetus and the mother. The most advisable approach to eating garlic is grating it into your prepared meal. You may choose to eat it raw or cooked. However, garlic has a pungent taste when uncooked, which may seem unpleasant to some.
What is the Best Time to Eat Garlic for Pregnant Women?
Pregnant women can eat garlic at any time of the day like everyone else. However, the most recommended time is during lunchtime. However, when it comes to the timing during the pregnancy.
Most garlic eating should happen during the first trimester. However, the quantity of garlic consumed should be lower as one moves to the second and third trimesters. That doesn’t mean a complete stop to eating garlic, but taking it in at intervals of several days apart.
Frequently Asked Questions to Why Am I Craving Garlic During Pregnancy?
Why Do I Crave Garlic During Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, the body is in high demand for nutrients and minerals to serve both the fetus and the mother. The deficiency creates a strong desire for the mother to seek sources of the necessary minerals and nutrients, such as garlic.
Can I Eat Garlic During My Pregnancy?
Eating garlic during pregnancy is recommended. However, it should be done in moderation, and one should only eat two cloves daily.
Should I Eat Garlic Cooked or Uncooked?
Whether you eat garlic raw or cooked, it’s your choice, and there is no harm. However, raw garlic has a pungent taste that you will have to contend with.
Conclusion to Why Am I Craving Garlic During Pregnancy?
Garlic cravings during pregnancy may signal nutritional deficiencies that are lacking in the pregnant woman’s diet, resulting in cravings. Garlic is a healthy ingredient to add to one’s diet during pregnancy, however, moderation is key as consuming too much garlic can cause harm to both the mother and the baby.
Daniel Iseli (Head Chef)
Hi, my name is Daniel and I am passionate about cooking. I have been cooking for the past 20 years and am happy to share my best recipes and cooking-related knowledge with you.