I never thought that this ice cream flavor would become my favorite. Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream is the perfect recipe for autumn; my family and I love it.
When making ice cream, I am using an ice cream maker. In the beginning, I was using a frozen-bowl model. These are the ice cream makers where you need to freeze the bowl first. This worked, but the ice cream was never great. It was never really solid and always too soft. It melted straight away.
I am now using a compressor ice cream maker. The whole process is much easier and faster.
However you want to do your Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream, here are the ingredients and steps involved:
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
Prepare the base Ice Cream
I always start with a base mixture of eggs, 2 cups heavy cream, milk, and vanilla extract. I learned this from the Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream book. It always works, and you can then create whatever flavor you wish.
So for the steps:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and half of the granulated sugar (3/8 cup). Heat the mixture over medium heat until it begins to steam, but do not let it boil.
- Whisk the remaining sugar (3/8 cup) and the pumpkin puree in a separate bowl. Add the spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves) and a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Slowly pour about a cup of the hot cream into the pumpkin mixture while whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Then, pour the combined mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the cream mixture.
- Optional Secret Ingredient: If you want your ice cream to look like Pumpkin Ice Cream, add some orange or yellow food coloring!
- Continue to heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Again, do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to let the flavors meld together.
Then, you can pour the ice cream mix into your ice cream maker.
- Pour it into the ice cream maker and follow the specific instructions from the manufacturer.
- It takes about 50 minutes in my compressor ice cream maker until it is done.
- You can now eat it fresh and rather soft or cool it more for better consistency in ice cream.
- After freezing, between 30-60 minutes, enjoy your ice cream.
Thats it. That is all there is to do. The flavor of this Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream is comparable to a Pumpkin Spice Latte you would drink at Starbucks. It is so delicious!