Skip to Content

Moldy Bananas – Remember This!

Moldy Bananas – Remember This!

Only a handful of people will eat overripe brown bananas even though they are safe for consumption and have a sweeter taste, so it goes without saying that very few people would dream of eating a moldy banana.

But this doesn’t mean that people aren’t curious about moldy bananas.

After all, it is said that a little bit of mold is harmless, so you may be tempted to remove the moldy portion of the banana and eat it anyway if you are hungry enough or trying to reduce waste.

But don’t do it, as eating moldy bananas isn’t safe!

On the other hand, you may have eaten a moldy banana by accident and are concerned about your health.

Fortunately, this article will explain everything that you need to know about moldy bananas.

Moldy bananas

First of all, moldy bananas should be thrown away. Mold signifies that the banana is spoiled and should not be consumed or used for baking. In most cases, moldy bananas won’t make you sick, but certain types of mold can be dangerous, so you should seek medical attention if you experience fever, nausea, or shortness of breath after eating a moldy banana.

Moldy Bananas
Moldy Bananas

Mold is a sign that a banana has spoiled

Since overripe bananas are the sweetest and perfectly safe to eat or use for baking, cereal, or smoothies, it can be hard to tell whether a banana has gone bad by the color of the peel alone.

Even if the fruit is beginning to have a softer, musher texture, you may still be able to use the banana for baking banana bread.

So, how do you tell whether a banana has gone bad? The presence of mold.

While you may cut a moldy corner off a slice of bread, you shouldn’t do the same with a moldy banana because the mold is a sign that the banana has gone bad. It’s not just about the mold.

It’s about the quality of the fruit.

Mold on a banana will look similar to mold on a bread
Mold on a banana will look similar to mold on a bread

Moldy bananas shouldn’t be eaten

Of course, you would never eat a spoiled piece of fruit, right? So, why would you eat a moldy banana?

However, some people may want to challenge this piece of advice if the mold is only located on the stem or banana peel.

Since bananas have a thick peel, it’s common for people to mistakenly think that the fruit is still safe for consumption if there’s a touch of mold on the peel or stem.

As long as the fruit itself isn’t moldy, they assume that it’s still edible.

However, the presence of mold means that the banana is decaying and is becoming too soft to fight off pathogens.

Moldy Bananas are not safe to eat
Moldy Bananas are not safe to eat

Rotten bananas are prone to developing fungus and other infections.

Additionally, fruit flies often start to swarm around the bananas at this stage and may lay their eggs inside the fruit.

When you notice mold on a banana, you shouldn’t ignore it and use the banana anyway.

Once mold has developed, the banana is no longer safe to eat or cook with.

While you may assume that the heat from cooking will kill any bacteria, you shouldn’t take that chance.

What happens if you eat a moldy banana?

You may have heard that mold won’t hurt you, and most of the time that is true. If you happen to eat a moldy banana, you will probably be fine.

You might not even get sick. But that isn’t always the case.

Some types of mold are dangerous, so you are taking a gamble with your life when you eat a moldy banana.

There is no way to tell which strain of mold has grown on that banana and whether it’s harmless or deadly- until it’s too late.

It’s important to be aware of the risks of eating moldy foods.

Moldy bananas shouldn't be used for baking either
Moldy bananas shouldn’t be used for baking either

If you accidentally consume a moldy banana, there’s no need to rush to the emergency room, but you should look out for symptoms of a possible infection.

You should seek immediate medical treatment if you begin to experience fever, nausea, or shortness of breath.

Occasionally, consuming mold can result in allergic reactions or difficulty breathing.

Even if you spot a bit of mold on a banana discard it as mold can be harmful
Even if you spot a bit of mold on a banana, discard it, as mold can be harmful

Some types of mold produce toxins that can make you very sick.

While most mold strains are indeed harmless, it’s not worth taking the chance of serious illness.

Since mold is a sign that the banana is decaying, there are risks involved with eating moldy bananas that go beyond the mold itself.

Fruit flies lay their eggs inside rotten bananas, and fungi also develop on spoiled foods.

Even if the mold is harmless, you can still get sick from eating rotten bananas.

Frequently Asked Questions About Moldy Bananas

Can moldy bananas be used for banana bread?

Moldy bananas cannot be used for banana bread. However when it comes to making banana bread, you can use overripe, brown, or even black bananas for the softest texture and sweetest taste- as long as the banana isn’t moldy or showing other signs of decay.

When should you not use a banana?

If there’s extensive discoloration or the banana has started to grow mold, then it should be thrown in the garbage. If the banana has brown spots or streaks, it’s still safe to use. It will actually have a sweeter taste at this ripening stage, but

What does mold look like on a banana?

When mold starts to grow on a banana, you will first notice spores on the peel or around the stem that looks similar to the mold that is commonly seen on bread.

Conclusion About Moldy Bananas

When it comes to moldy bananas, all you really need to know is not to eat them.

Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions about moldy bananas, and many people still question whether they can still consume bananas if the mold is only on the stem or peel.

The bottom line is that it doesn’t matter where the mold is located or how much mold is on the banana.

If your bananas start developing mold, they should be thrown away.

Even though most strains of mold are harmless, others can make you deathly ill or trigger an allergic reaction.

A tasty loaf of banana bread isn’t worth a trip to the hospital, so it’s always best to play it safe and discard moldy bananas.

Next article to read: Moldy food left in the oven and if it is safe to cook.